Friday, February 15, 2013

Kids These Days

I found the stuff we learned in psych this week to be very interesting, although the chapter was rather long. I particularly enjoyed learning about cognitive development of babies. I saw a young child tonight and I found myself trying to figure out what stage of development she was at (pre-operational was my guess). The information we learned about in class regarding babies learning language was probably the coolest thing we talked about. It has always been a goal of mine to, when raising my own children, talk to them in two languages from day 1 in order for them to become bilingual. I think that would be so useful and I wish I could have had that when I was young. It would certainly make German class a little more awesome. Here is an article supporting this, and the fact that babies are capable of learning more than one language from birth. I quite enjoyed it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/02/130214111606.htm

2 comments:

  1. I have also thought about talking to my child in two languages. Except I would speak to them in Spanish, which is a language people ACTUALLY use. Just kidding. Not really though. My baby's going to be waaaay cooler than yours. Just saying. Not really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is pretty cool that babies can separate languages. I also think that it would be kind of hard to teach a child two different languages and expand their vocabulary in both languages. That would be a lot of work. I guess it would help if one parent spoke one language and the other spoke the other language. I personally believe that that would be kind of confusing for everybody involved, but go ahead and try teaching your children two languages. First you are going to have to learn some German... ;)

    ReplyDelete