After starting our chapter about senses and perceptions, I was reminded of something I'd heard about previously- a condition in which people "hear" in color. I decided to do a little research and found that it was more than that. Synesthesia is a condition in which stimulation in a sensory pathway leads to stimulation in an autonomic pathway as well. The result is mixed perceptions. The author talks about how babies, as we've learned, have more neural connections than adults, and that scientists have suspected this could result in synesthesia. The article contains a video that I found to be far more interesting and informational than the article itself.
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/video/crisscrossing-senses.html
Hmmm...this sounds like a post I made in my blog a while back...hmmmmm. But yes synesthesia is very interesting because of how all of your senses are mixed up. I wonder how this disorder would affect authors/artists/composers because of the way they perceive things differently.
ReplyDelete